Other Useful Contacts

Sustainable Plumbing Solutions

for rainwater and greywater harvesting systems and other plumbing works.

Useful Teams

Landscape Architect
To be a Landscape Architect you must have a qualification in Landscape Architecture.  There is no requirement to belong to AILA (Australian Institute of Landscape Architects) or AILDM (Australian Institute of Landscape Designers and Managers.  Both of these associations are Industry associations. 

The areas covered in the training of Landscape Architects varies greatly depending on the subjects under taken and the length of course. The length of the course can be anywhere from 6 months to 6 years..  As a student you can be expected to cover the history of design, and landscape architecture, construction subjects, urban planning and theory.  Most courses also require at least one unit of plant identification which will generally also cover plant growing requirements. Generally, if you want to be heavily involved in the plant side of design you will need to udnertake more training than offered in a Landscape Architectural course.

To be a Horticulturist you must have a qualification in Horticulture. There are a number of horticultural qualifications available in Australia from TAFE level courses, through to a Bachelor of Science. As a student in horticulture you can be expected to cover soil science and identification, soil hydrology and irrigation design, plant maintenance including fertilisers, pruning etc, and extensive plant identification – often as much as 6 units.  In addition to this electives will include design based subjects and computer drafting as well production and turf specific subjects.  Generally a degree in Horticulture is a 3 year course – there are other shorter training options in Horticulture.

Landscape Designer/Garden Designer
A landscape designer is anyone who designs landscapes or gardens.  There is no requirement to have undergone any formal training.  There are some specific Certificate 4 level  Landscape Design courses.  These courses cater for people who have an apprenticeship in horticulture or a related field or have no experience in the field. These are generally considered introductory courses.

In all cases when engaging a professional you should ask what training the designer has undertaken and what experience they have.  You should also ensure that they have relevant insurance.  It should be expected that all design professionals carry PI (Professional Indemnity Insurance) as well as other workcover and other insurance as appropriate. It is always a good idea to view a portfolio and meet with your designer before engaging them.

If you are looking to study any of the above fields you should contact your local training organisation for up to date information.